Import existing images
|Top Previous Next|
If you have an existing set of images, then you can use the Import feature to get those image in your catalog. To import your images simply click the "Import" button in the main application toolbar.
Once you click the Import button a dialog appears, and in this dialog you can select one or more folders of images that you'd like to import to the catalog. You can select multiple folders by holding down the [Ctrl] key while clicking each folder that you want to import. In the upper tree you select the folder and then set the import option. These options are:
Once you have configured the dialog you click <OK> to start the import process. The import process will start.
As you start the import process, you can follow its progress in the Process Activity Panel. You can access this panel by clicking on the blinking counter icon in the lower right corner of the Collection Viewer (below the thumbnail area).
The Import process runs in the background and you can continue to work in IDimager while the process is running. As your images are being imported, IDimager will:
1. Create database entries for each image found in the specified folder
2. Import the existing metadata from the image (Exif/IPTC/XMP) and store them in the database
3. Create metadata search entries in the database
4. Create thumbnails, and optionally previews, for the images and store them in the database
5. If there are pre-existing keywords in the metadata of the images then those are converted to catalog labels
The import process is handled in a background process, which means that you can continue to work in IDimager (Professional Edition only). During the import process IDimager will:
1. Create catalog entries in the database
2. If specified, a thumbnail will be created and stored in the thumbnail database. Also, if you have configured IDimager to use stored previews (Tools | Options | Image Viewing | Advanced | Store previews in database), a preview image will also be created
3. If you have enabled "Store meta information to catalog", the metadata is imported to the database. This includes:
a. Exif information
b. An XMP block is created for the image if not available yet, and it is initialized with existing Exif and IPTC information
c. If existing XMP and/or IPTC keywords are available, then catalog labels are created for the keywords and assigned to the image
d. Each XMP property is stored to the database for extensive searching (if "Tools | Options | General | XMP Sync Settings | Allow extensive meta searching" is enabled).
The import process can be canceled at any time by clicking the button at the right of the progress item in the Progress Activity panel. When you cancel the import process you can restart it again afterwards by clicking the Import button for that folder again. IDimager will then quickly skip passed all the images that were already imported and continue where it left off.
After the import process has completed you can use the Catalog Explorer to browse through your images.
You can start multiple import processes for different folders concurrently. To do this, simply click again on the "Import" button to start a new import process.